Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:35-38

Monday, August 15, 2011

All I Have Is Christ

It has been quite a few days since I have posted a note.  I was out of town at a music conference with my church's music team (Worship God Conference).  We went to Maryland from Wednesday until Saturday.  It was a great conference.  I learned a lot.  I laughed a lot, cried some, but overall enjoyed it and am so glad I went.  One of the songs we sang was All I Have Is Christ.  That is pretty much my favorite song.  I sang it to Savannah almost every night.  At the conference, there was one part of the song that really stuck out to me.  The part that says "Oh Father use my ransom life in any way you choose, and let my song forever be my only hope is you."  I used to think about that verse as being a little afraid to sing it because if I sang it and meant it, God might move me somewhere far away from home like Montana or Africa.  I realized it means so much more than that.  I mean, that is part of it, but being willing to give your life completely over to God to use you and your situations in any way possible for His glory.  (I'm not sure if that makes sense or not.)  Part of me was not ready to sing that part yet.  It is hard but I will be praying that God will change that in my heart.

On Thursday morning (of the retreat) I was having a hard morning.  There were a few thousand people at the conference...I think, I am bad at judging crowd sizes.  Since it was a music conference, most everyone can sing really really well!  I was joking with one girl that there was a 10 part harmony going on even though that is not even possible.  haha!  Anyways, just looking out at the crowd (we were in the balcony) hearing the beautiful music and seeing everyone praising the Lord made me think about Savannah in Heaven praising God and how much more she is seeing and experiencing than I can even fathom.  I cried out of joy for her but also out of sadness because I miss her so much.  I had two of my girlfriends at the conference with me just sit there with me and cry and that was the best thing they could have done at that moment.

On Saturday, after the conference ended, we stopped by Washington, D.C. on the way home.  Because of some bad directions, we spent 2 hours on the metro trying to find a particular restaurant.  It was good that it happened that way because it made for a funny story and good bonding time.  We didn't have much time in DC so we walked by the White House and saw it and we went to the Smithsonian Museum of American History.  I was able to see the music room.  It was closed last time I was in Washington for remodeling.  The instruments were absolutely beautiful!  Next, we saw the First Lady's room.  I had so much fun in there.  They actually already had Michelle's inaugural ball gown in there.  It was so beautiful!  That is about all we had time for.  I wanted to see Julia Child's kitchen, but I kinda forgot about it since we were in a hurry.  

Well, that is all for now folks.  I will try to post more frequently than I did this week.  Truths that I am holding on to right now are that God is sovereign, He works all things for our good even though we may not understand His plan.  I have seen God move in big ways among my family and friends.  I am thankful for that but in my selfishness would take it all back to have Savannah back but I know that this is God's plan and I am trusting Him through it even though it is hard.  Oh yeah, if you don't know the song "All I Have Is Christ", I encourage you to go to Youtube or grooveshark and listen to it.  It is very encouraging. 

5 comments:

  1. I am so blessed to have you as my wife, and I love you more deeply than I know how to convey. Thank you for sharing your thoughts...I know this isn't easy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, You are a true inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through. Your strength and faith are so inspiring. May God continue to heal your heart and give you the comfort that only He can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really thankful for your honesty, Ashley. Alex (Panama) and I are continuously praying for you and Eric.

    ReplyDelete