Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:35-38

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Respite Retreat

Eric and I just returned from a weekend in Henrietta, Tennessee.  We went to a retreat called "The Respite Retreat" by David and Nancy Guthrie.  What a blessing it was!!!  It is a retreat for couples who have lost a child.  There is a big cabin in Henrietta called the Hiding Place.  It sleeps 12 couples.  I love that the retreat was on the small side.  I think I would have been overwhelmed if it was a large conference.  Here are a couple of pictures of the cabin.







On Friday night and Saturday morning, they gave everyone a chance to tell their story.  That was really hard but good.  I felt like Eric and I were able to talk freely and openly about what happened without worrying about making people feel uncomfortable or awkward.  We didn't have to explain ourselves (why we felt certain things) b/c everybody in the room knew what we meant b/c they had experienced a similar thing.

Saturday afternoon, we talked about issues that grieving parents have to deal with.  One of mine and Eric's concerns was how do we raise another child without being fearful all the time.  It was encouraging to hear from other families who have other children.  Some things that people encouraged us with are that fear is not from God!  That we need to hold our thoughts captive and God is our protector.  Also, to fight the fear with scripture.  Don't just listen to our anxious thoughts, but fight it with scripture...and that fears are normal, but don't give in to them.  I am definitely going to be praying that God will show me scriptures that are good for fighting fear.  (I would love for your prayers for that too!)

We also asked about what to do with Savannah's stuff.  I have pretty much decided I will use clothes, toys, etc again.  My biggest thing was what to do with the crib. The crib is kinda like a big, fat, ugly monster (in my mind.)  I know that sounds crazy, but that is what it is like to me.  I was encouraged to beat down that fear.  To remember all the mornings where I was able to get Savannah up.  To take it a few days at a time.  So, with fist pounding into hand, it is you and me crib (monster), and I will not be afraid of you!!!  (Ok, that was weird, but you know what I mean).  Please pray that God will help us in that situation.

One thing that really stands out that I learned this weekend comes from Rev. 1:28.  "I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades."  This passage takes care of all the "What If's".  I have been holding on to the sovereignty of God through this situation.  It was a good reminder because the What If's do show up in my mind.  What if I did this, what if we would have done that, etc.  Jesus holds the keys to death.  He is the only one who can open that door.  He is there on the other side.  God had Savannah's days numbered and he was the one who opened the doors of death and welcomed her into Heaven. 



Saturday night was a fun night.  We played the "newlywed game" and just had time to hang out and have fun.  It was great talking to everybody!


Sunday morning we had our own church.  We sang hymns and the Guthrie's walked us through scripture that has been encouraging to them since they lost their little boy and little girl.  


I am so glad we were able to go and I look forward to keeping up with the friends we made there.  If you know anyone who has lost a child, I highly recommend this retreat!


Here are a few more picture from our weekend!





 The Guthrie's took pictures of our children and put them around the living room.  While we were sharing our stories, they passed around the picture of the child.  Here is the picture of Savannah.
 Just some table decorations.  They were absolutely beautiful.
This is us with David and Nancy.  They lost two children around 10 years ago.  They were the ones that led the retreat.  They definitely are gifted and we were blessed by the retreat!

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, I'm so glad that there is a ministry out there like this. You and Eric are always in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so amazed at your strength and honesty as you work through the grief. It is encouragement to me and has caused me to examine things in my relationship with God. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What an incredible blessing Ashley! I am soooo thankful that you guys were able to go. Thank you for writing about it. I can't imagine how RESTFUL it was to be in a room full of people whom you didn't have to explain yourself too. Wow. I am so thankful for this couple and their ministry. AND i will pray against that crib monster! As your blog title, you are MORE than a conqueror against that Crib! What a sweet reminder of all the days you got to go and wake her up. I am encouraged through your journey. -Kari

    ReplyDelete